What is a Gua Sha?
It’s the trend everyone is following, “The Gua Sha” but what is a Gua Sha and how is it used?
What is a Gua Sha? Where does it originate from and what is it used for?!
It’s a no brainer to incorporate a tool that doesn’t require batteries or a professional into your skincare regime, right?! Not to mention, it feels so good! The Gua Sha - a natural tool, an ancient Chinese healing technique that has been used for many centuries which involves scraping the tool against the skin, which is believed to increase blood circulation to the treated area. Intended to address the stagnant energy, known as chi, within the body. Practitioners believe “chi” may be responsible for inflammation. Melting away tension, discomfort, and puffiness. The Gua Sha can be used on the body and face, however it is recommended that gentle pressure is used on the face and neck and medium to firm on the body.
So, What are some benefits from using a Gua Sha on the face?
Below is a list of benefits, some of these benefits will be seen instantly and some with regular use overtime:
- Assists facial sculpting for natural definition/contouring
- Helps Eliminate toxins
- Assists with product penetration for ultimate results
- A clearer and brightened complexion
- Stimulates lymphatic drainage
- Improved blood circulation for a plumped luminous glow
- Assists collagen stimulation
- Relief for stress and tension headaches
- Reduction in the appearance of wrinkles and fine expression lines
- Reduction in puffiness
- Improves skin elasticity
- Reduction to the visibility of dark circles under the eyes.
How do you use a Gua Sha on the face?
- Create a calm and relaxing atmosphere, light a candle, play some slow tunes and dim the lights. Get ready for some YOU TIME!
- After cleansing your face - apply a facial serum or moisturizer from forehead to décolleté area.
- Glide the tool across your face in an upwards and outwards direction using gentle to medium pressure, repeating each movement 5-6 times.
- Be sure to slow down every single movement, taking deep breathes with every single glide and taking time to connect with your mindfulness for the ultimate release of tension.
- Use the smaller curved edges to sculpt areas such as cheek bones and jawline and the larger side for areas such as the T zone.
- Next, glide the tool down the sides of the face from forehead to the décolleté area to drain any lymph fluid.
We recommended daily use to see an improvement in the listed benefits.
Here's a tip:
The colder the tool, the greater the boost of collagen production and circulation! You can store your beauty tools in the fridge before applying directly onto the skin.
How do I clean my Gua Sha?
To clean your tool, lightly damp a cotton pad or microfiber cloth in some warm water (squeeze out excess water) and gently wipe over the stone to remove any product build up (do not drench the pad or towel). Gently pat dry and leave to air dry.
Do not use cleaning chemicals for your beauty tools. Do not place tools directly under running water.